page contents

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I pay my bill with a credit or debit card?

Yes, you can use a debit or credit card to pay your bill either at Water District, over the phone or on this website. Using a card does incur a 3% or minimum of $2 service fee.

Can you waive my penalty?

The board does not allow us to waive penalties. Payment must be received by 5pm on the due date or a 10% penalty will be assessed.

How do I get the water bill taken out of my name or put into my name?

If you have purchased or sold the home, please contact our office either by phone or e-mail and we will be happy to process your request. We need to receive a phone call from both the buyer and seller of the property to complete the transfer. You must be able to provide the date of possession or closing date when you call. We do not put water bills into the name of a renter. Please call if further information is needed regarding rental situations.

How does your Auto Draft program work?

First, the customer must fill out an Auto-Pay Enrollment form. They can get this form from the WD#1 website, or pick one up at our office during regular business hours. Once filled out, the customer can either mail it to the office or drop it off during regular business hours. WD#1 will make an ACH withdrawal from the customer’s bank account during the first week of the month after the bills go out. For example, if bills go out in the middle of August, WD#1 will make an ACH withdrawal during the first week in September. The customer will receive a hard copy of their bill for record keeping. There will be a note on the bill that reads “AUTO DRAFT DO NOT PAY”. Please call if further information on Auto-Pay Enrollment is needed.

I have a water driven sump pump. If this pump is in use, how will it affect my bill?

Water driven sump pumps use 3 gallons of water to pump out 1 gallon of water. If you own a home with a water driven sump pump (one that uses city water to work when the power goes out), you will be responsible for any bills resulting from said use of that sump pump. Not being aware that it is running, the bill can be significant over the course of the quarterly billing period. Be aware that there are alarms that can be purchased at many home improvement stores and installed on these pumps so you will know when they are running.

How do I check for and identify leaks?

Areas that might be using water continually because of a leak are as follows:
  • Toilets
  • Drippy Faucets
  • Clothes Washers
  • Dishwashers
  • Some Humidifiers
  • Some Disposals
  • Water Evaporator-type Air Conditioners
  • Lawn Sprinkling Systems

To test toilets for leaks, first remove tank-mounted cleaners and flush until all coloring is gone from inside the tank and bowl basin of the toilet. Then add 40 to 50 drops of food coloring (blue, red, or green) to a glass of warm water, and then carefully pour it into the tank, stirring it to mix the food coloring throughout the tank. Check the toilet bowl periodically over the next two hours. Food coloring in the bowl indicates a leak.

Another way to check for water leaks is to read the water meter in your home and write down the numbers, including the number to which the needle is pointing. After six to eight hours of not using any water in the house, read the water meter again and compare the numbers to the original reading from the beginning of the test. If the needle has moved or any of the readings have changed, that means that water has passed through the meter even though no water faucets were turned on or toilets flushed, etc., during that time. In this case, a change in the needle’s position on the meter indicates a leak or open valve somewhere in the home.

Water District #1 Of Midland County

Fax: 989-687-9145


Monday - Friday
8AM-Noon & 1PM-5PM
(with the exception of holidays)

Mailing Address:

PO Box 320
Sanford MI 48657

Message Us:

11 + 3 =